Here is a wrap up of conversations, links, topics and photos that popped up in the Highbrow Paleo group this week.
Amanda is collecting information about infants and toddlers with Cystic Fibrosis – best meals for weight gain, symptom management and avoiding further inflammation. From our digging it looks like a lower carb Paleo diet with LOTS of MCT oil, egg yolks, liver and some high fat dairy products are the right fit. If anyone has any information regarding food and Cystic Fibrosis, particularly for toddlers, please email email@example.com.
Whole dried tiny fish are PACKED with nutrients.
Chris Masterjohn’s third installment on Chris Kresser’s podcast was VERY good. Some take away points (thanks to Stabby for taking notes like a good nutrition nerd <3):
- Inflammation from trying to mop up oxidized LDL causes plaque to adhere to the artery wall and when there is further inflammation it ruptures causing heart attack.
- We want to use the lipids on our blood, but if they accumulate due to low thyroid or other metabolic disorders, then they stay around too long and have a greater chance of being oxidized.
- There are good reasons and bad reasons for increases of serum cholesterol. Cholesterol can increase if you’re resolving fatty liver disease, once you start clearing them you may get an increase in cholesterol and triglycerides…but it’s a good thing! People on diets high in choline, folate and methionine, paleo diets, may be seeing this.
- Potential paleo pitfalls: Too many plant goitrogens (thyroid antagonists) and too little iodine. Can cause hypothyroidism.
- Holy crap a lot of plants are toxic. Holy crap holy crap. Millet and cassava aren’t good staple foods.
Peter at Hypelipid brings us more interesting FIRKO mice stuff to read about. Rose shares “The reason I gravitate so strongly toward the hyperinsulinemia thesis, including the calories “locked” in fat tissue, is because that’s exactly how it *felt* when I was fat, and even when I was just *becoming* fat. And even before the pounds began to come, right after I switched to a ketone metabolism I could feel energy flowing through my body like water through a parched desert. ”
Come on! Really? This lady is eating tons of pizza and kebabs. The fashion industry really needs to go paleo.
Do your kids like to dig in the dirt? Does it make them super happy? Let them! And while you are at it, join in! It just may improve your mood as well.
While we are on the subject of mood and the mind, beware of your cat!
Crossfit, is it a cult? Some say hell yeah, some say pass the Kool-Aid.
We wonder whether with today’s high rates of obesity, are we entering an epigenetic spiral of obesity?
Happy Valentine’s Day bitchez! l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DBKPoHgKcqag&h=3AQFA9RnBAQHD3L8RjYTTbb6A-gw8izFtQFRB_klpsn8TZQ